Sunday, August 06, 2006

 

Parrot blogging!



At one time in my life, I had a blue-crowned conure (left) and a nanday (right). What fun these two parrots were! I got them as a pair from an Oriental family in Portland, Maine and unfortunately they had been abused. Rosco, the blue-crown, was very untrusting and had no feathers on his belly and part of his back when I got him, and Peco was very untrusting and emotionally down. After a couple of years of working with these two (tons of patience and bitten fingers I may add!), they finally broke out of their madness. Rosco had grown his feathers back and he was the most playful funny parrot I ever owned! He was a talker too. Because he obviously spent quite a few years with the Oriental family, he would mumble words in Chinese when the house was quiet. I loved that. One day when he was doing that, he blurted out, "Fuck you!!!" and I nearly fell over in my chair! He learned that from another owner because I don't say that word around my son at all!
Okay, here's the sad part: two years ago, I was going outside to smoke a cigarette and as I was going out the door......Rosco my blue-crown landed on my shoulder. I started to walk backwards into the house to get him but he flew up into the trees! For 5 days, I tried to get him. I put his cage out and even brought out Peco to try to coax him back to me, but he wouldn't come. He was never the kind of bird who would come to me when I called his name. He would only fly to me when it was HIS idea. I have to tell you.......I cried my eyes out when I knew it was hopeless. (This happened in April and it was freezing cold.....I never saw him again after the 5th day) I felt like a child had died and I was bonkers for quite some time. Knowing that he either froze to death or starved to death was too much to bear. I'm even having a hard time writing this part because I miss him so much!
After this happened, I decided that I couldn't handle having birds anymore (plus I had a Jenday conure and two Cockatiels) because just looking at all of them made me miss Rosco so much. My friend Kim and her boyfriend now have them. They've enjoyed the birds so much that they just adopted two African Greys! So, I'm happy to say that I still get to see them.

Comments:
Gorgeous birds!
 
Well, I didn't take this picture..I found it on Google. But I had both of these types of birds, Hill. So cute!!! They are gorgeous. Rosco was hideous when I got him but once he grew his feathers back.......he was one handsome male bird! He would walk around like he was so proud of himself. I miss him so much but am thankful that I can still see my other birds from time to time.
 
Also, Nandays are kind of like crows. They walk like them and they screech like them too! Peco was so curious just like crows are. I miss her too.
 
I have tons of wild birds that come to feed from my bird feeders in my yard. Hummingbirds, tiny little Hill Country finches, cardinals, Blue Jays, Doves, etc. I adore watching them. Interesting sidebar. If you ever hear them all screeching and dive-bombing in unison, that means they have spotted a snake and they will go after it. They are like a band of brothers, uniting against their enemy. Very cool indeed.
 
Hill, I absolutely love all birds...even the wild ones! They bring so much joy to me too. I have a couple of bird feeders outside and a hummingbird feeder too. I can sit there for hours listening to them and watching them go about their business.

Domesticated birds are the bomb. The pair of Cockatiels (Alice & Morris) I had had 3 clutches and out of them I became 'Grammy' to 3 beautiful baby birds! The mother trusted me too and she allowed me to touch them right after they were born. Alice & Morris were awesome parents too. Those babies grew up plump and spoiled rotten with love and affection! It was so much fun to watch.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]