Wednesday, October 18, 2006

 

President Bill Clinton spoke...

...at Georgetown University today to rally democrats. I wasn't able to watch the whole speech, which aired on MSNBC live, but did manage to hear some of it. One part of his speech hit home for me and it's not surprising whenever this man speaks I usually do walk away with a new perspective because he makes me think.

Today he was telling a story from when he was in school. Clinton's science teacher said to the class years ago that most of the kids taking this course will not remember much about what was being taught, but at the very least, he wanted the kids to remember one thing while taking the class. The teacher told the kids that when he gets up in the morning, he washes his face and then shaves and when he's done he tells his reflection in the mirror that he is beautiful. After a little bit of laughter in the Georgetown audience, Bill Clinton said, "...and by the end of the semester I thought he was beautiful too".

What Bill Clinton was saying is need to be telling ourselves we're beautiful and by doing so, the republicans will see us as beautiful too and won't feel so apt to call us 'ugly', which is really a reflection of the way they feel about themselves. Oh my, that is good, but as of right now, I can find a whole lot of beauty within myself, but the problem is I don't give a flying rat's ass what the republicans think about me or my party. Yes, Bill, I should give this a try. I know this but I can't.

Clinton's story is a good one, has a great lesson, and it is something that I will pass onto my son. Politically at this point, I don't have the energy or the stamina or even the passion to be beautiful in front of the republicans. Why? Because it's the republican party who has divided this nation. It's the republicans who stated, "You're either with us or you're with the terrorists", and have accused me of being a traitor to this country along with others because we are not a loyal supporter of Bush and his policies. It's the republican party who is in control of this country and has the power to change. However, it's the republicans who made it very clear they weren't going to change the dialogue in this country when their supporters in civilian life, on the radio, and on the t.v. were calling us traitors. The dialogue since then on their side of the political coin has not been beautiful. It's been ugly.

So Bill, as much as I love you and respect you, I can't be beautiful at this time. I have a 'war' to fight in my country and there are many people like myself who want to get dirty and fight hard for this country. See? I listened to your words, but your words have come too late. Thanks though. Your story will be near my heart when I can look through my front door and see my country and party for what it truly is: one that is humane, one that is patriotic in the positive sense and not made up of nationalists, and one that is kind, loving, and accepting. Until then, I will remain ugly and dirty fighting the good fight!!!!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]